kiwiwinter

Story of some Brits living in New Zealand for the Southern Hemisphere Winter in 2004
(Recent Entries Here)

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Disoriented in New Zealand - just realised why

New to the southern hemisphere I've been a bit perplexed as to why my sense of direction seems so off - I just cant seem to feel where North is.

My first thought was that the sun must be rising in a different place (my girlfriend was quick to point out how stupid that idea was).

Then I figured we must have some inbuilt magnetic mechanism sense of direction which is upset by changing hemispheres.

I was happy with that explanation until another Brit explained the problem to me - it's that the sun rises in the Northen sky here (because we are south of the equator) as opposed to the Sorthern sky from the UK. So, for someone who rarely wears a watch and probably uses the sun as one of my clues to time of day and direction, this misplacement of the sun is quite difficult to accomodate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home